09 February 2010

German Integration Course

To extend my residency visa beyond the end of this year, there were a couple of requirements. One was to improve my German. This is a fairly new thing in Germany, From what I've read, Germany started offering German Integration Courses in 2005 for people seeking a residence visa. These courses consist of 645 hours of classes (945 for people who are illiterate). 600 hours are German language classes designed to bring the person to the B1 level. The meaning of B1 is as follows:

"Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans."
These 600 hour are divided in to 6 modules of 100 hours. According to a test that I took, I needed to start at module 3.

The last 45 hours creates final module about German culture.

The cost of these classes are minimal for the student, as the program is state supported, 1 euro per class hour. At the end of the course, the student takes a test to see if he/she has attained proficiency. If the student is able to pass this test within 2 years, the state actually refund 50% of the tuition.

So I now find myself spending some of my Saturday mornings (as in "every day is a Saturday" when you retire) in a German Integration course improving my German. The course meets every weekday morning for 4 hours.  There are about 16 people in the class. Over a third come from Iraq. Others come from Hungary, Spain, India, Georgia, Uruguay, Brazil, Kosovo  and the Philippines. I'm the only American.

So far, the class has been enjoyable. Although I, personally, would like to see the class move a little faster. I have noticed a improvement in what I understand and can express in German after only 7 classes. I'm pretty happy with the idea of spending a good part of this year studying German.

What happens after this year? I understand the the city will support additional classes to help people reach the C1 level (i.e. relatively fluent). That's the point I should be able to achieve a dream I've had since 1991 when I first went to Germany. That is to read Hesse's Siddhartha in its original language.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in my blog.