09 February 2010

Beers I've Tried: Königsbacher Pils

This was a surprising disappointment for me. You see, I've often had Königsbacher Pils from the tap at pubs and restaurants here in Koblenz and have enjoyed it. Königsbacher is Koblenz's local brewery and it's Pils is served at most of the pubs and restaurants here. The gocery store I bought this bottle from is less than 1/2 mile from the brewery.

Yet this one left me wanting. It looked and tasted light. The head had relatively large bubbles and was not long lasting. The hops (100% Saaz, so they claim) just did not snap out at me like I remember.

Can this be a difference between cask and bottle? Or was this just a bottle from a bad batch? I did read that Königsbacher has just been bought by Bitburger (Karlsberg had perviously owned it). Is this a new recipe? Or a quality control problem associated with the change in ownership?

Only way to tell is to try a few more glasses and maybe tour the brewery. But these are the things I'm willing to do in the name of research.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in my blog.