30 October 2009

Autobahn Impressions - German Autos

Here are some somewhat random impressions about the auto that Germans drive. Some are not too surprising, others might be.
  • There is a much higher percentage of German made autos on the road than from any other country. These would include Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, Opel. I don't include Ford here, but I think a number of them are made Germany
  • Japan is probably second.
  • I think Porches might be more popular in the US than in Germany. I seem more likely to see them in the US that here.
  • Every manufacturer that sells in both the US and Germany, has smaller car models for the German market that are not sold in the US. For example, Ford has the Fiesta and the KA. Audi sells and A3. Mercedes markets an A and B class. Toyota sells a car small than its Yaris, the Aygo.
  • The Honda Fit is called the Honda Jazz in Germany
  • To maximize space, a high percentage of small and mid-size cars are hatchbacks or station wagons. Leading body styles that I don't think are available in the US. Examples would include station wagon versions of the Ford Fusion, BMW 3, Audi A4, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. Also, hatchback version of Honda Civic and Toyots Corolla.
  • The GM mark in Germany is Opel. I have seen an occasional Chevy. But the typical brands that we in the US associate with GM are not here.
  • Volvo and Saab seem more popular in the US than in Germany
  • The French makers. Renault, Citröen, and Peugeot, have quite a reputation for their small cars
  • I cannot get excited about the Fiats that I see. Rather plain simple body styles. So simple that it looks like minimizing the manufacturing cost of the bodywas the primary driving force in their design.
  • A lot more Alpha Romeros on the road here that in the US. I'm talking hatch backs or family cars, not the sport cars. They do have a sense of style to them.
  • Seat is the Spanish wing of VW. Their cars have sleeker bodies that their German counterparts while appearing to be built on the same frames.
  • Skoda has a following in Germany. They remind me of BMWs, but I suspect there are a bit cheaper.
  • Some Prius can be seen, and I would say that the number is growing.
  • Diesel versions of most cars. Diesel is cheaper here than gas, and just as available.
  • Some SUVs can be found. But certainly they are in no way the same percentage as in the US.
  • Mercedes E class looks great on the autobahn. If I went into a Mercedes dealer, my mind would say A class, but my heart would want an E class.

2 comments:

  1. Todd, do you guys have the Honda Free there? Now that's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Free yet, the Jazz/Fit is the smallest Honda sold in Germany. The Smart forTwo is quite popular. And Toyota does sell the Aeyo, which is smaller than the Yaris.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest in my blog.